I’m enamored with rocking horses lately–probably because I frequently discover them, loved to a point of dishevelment, hidden away in a dark corner of a garage sale or thrift store. This one was a fine, sturdy fellow in need of a new hair style and some creativity to conceal a little childhood graffiti.
You may remember my last rocking horse: Old Blue sold at my very first craft fair. He became the star attraction at a baby shower for a first grandchild.
This rocking horse presented more challenges: I’d never replaced a mane and tail before. I took careful note how everything was attached as I removed the old ones. After I’d painted, distressed and sealed him with matte poly, it was beauty spa time. Armed with a replacement mop head from Ace Hardware, I brandished my handy staple gun and my trusty hot glue gun and worked a little magic.
After securely stapling in as much as possible, I then braided in at least double more thickness to give him the reckless look I was after (think Fabio…)
Relocating his tail to attach behind the “saddle” enabled me to attach a thick, boisterous tail securely with several screws.
I’d decided to create custom glass eyes using this method. But each attempt left the horse with a mean or sinister expression. His face is just too narrow.
And that brings us to his name. My irreverent boys have dubbed him Blind Bart. Poor guy! Please, somebody adopt him and rename him!
$60 + shipping