Architectural Interest

We’re gearing up here on Chalk Hill for a big family wedding in August.  It’s going to be hot hot HOT, but that isn’t stopping the bride from adopting a rustic picnic theme.  INDOORS.

The venue is rather special:  A quaint little Anglican church perched on the edge of the escarpment.  I walked down that same aisle 26 years ago.  It has gorgeous wood work, but still creates a fresh, airy feel when the sun bathes the altar with light.  It’s the perfect spot for an afternoon wedding.

But we’re not crazy about the colorful liturgical banners lining the wall, and have gained gracious permission to relocate them for the service.  And that leaves us with a problem:  what to do with long, uninteresting walls that are punctuated with nails and picture hooks.  We don’t want anything to detract from the wedding party (or the huge floral arrangement on the front altar that I’ll post about later.)  So here’s what we’ve come up with:


We’ll line the walls with 14 of these beauties, 7 on each side.  I love the simplicity this will bring–no colors to clash, just architectural interest in keeping with our rustic theme.  I must confess that Pinterest is the originator of this idea (hubby has plenty of descriptive epitaphs for that website, none complimentary, but that’s probably because it usually means another project that I need his handyman skills for)

You might notice the use of ‘we’ in this post.  Yes, as usual, I’ve recruited plenty of helpers, some less eager than others (a-hem).  But here’s how it’s done.


We started with 1/4″ plywood.  OK, honesty time here, Hubby started with the plywood.  He selected it, procured it, hauled it home from the hardware store, and then cut it to my exacting measurements.  And all that in the heat of Texas summertime. WHAT A GUY!  


We (my sister and I–the boys were off at Scout camp for the week or they would have been recruited) sanded and stained.  14 panels doesn’t sound like so many until you sand and stain them in the heat of Texas summertime.

IMG_2930        IMG_2933

And then I got out my secret weapons.  I donned my trusty polypropylene suit (did I mention the heat yet?) and snapped on my trusty spray paint nozzle attachment (that funky black thing behind the can of paint)  If you haven’t yet invested in one of these nozzle attachments, run, do not walk to go and get one!!!!  But I digress…the magical part starts here:


because I unearthed this funky old doormat entwined beneath the English Ivy a few months ago (it was black back then.)  It makes a disappointing doormat because it is frail and torn in a couple of places.  But it makes a dandy stencil!!!

IMG_2931  IMG_2932

We sprayed until the board was completely covered. And then we sprayed some more, making sure not a single spot was missed.  And then we waited…who would have thought spray paint could take so long to dry in the heat of…yes, yes, you know. We I squealed with delight at the outcome (you could tell my boys weren’t there to ridicule such feminine behavior.)


Then I whisked it away to the comforts of air conditioning to experiment with different distressing techniques.  On the left is tinted antiquing wax.  It interacted with the oil-based spray paint giving a blurry effect.  The right side is faux glaze with a few squirts of acrylic charcoal colored craft paint.  We’re going for the right side, because we like the clearer definition.


One down…13 more to go.  And it’s hot out there.  I’m so glad it’s an indoor wedding!